Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Science Education in Texas #4

Some blog readers may be interested in a recent post “Science Education in Texas #4” [Hake (2009)].  The abstract reads:

 ABSTRACT: The National Center for Science Education (NCSE http://ncseweb.org/ ) reported that (a) “the Texas Senate voted NOT to confirm Don McLeroy in his post as chair of the Texas state board of education on 28 May 28 2009,” and (b) according to the Houston Chronicle "there is speculation in the Capitol and within the Texas Education Agency that Gov. Rick Perry might elevate Cynthia Dunbar, R-Richmond, to lead the board.” Dunbar is the author of One Nation Under God that advocates more religion in the public square.  According to a Dallas Morning News report by Christy Hoppe (2006), Gov. Rick Perry "believes that non-Christians are doomed."

To access the 7 kB complete post, please click on http://tinyurl.com/ph4qzz .


REFERENCES   

Hake, R.R. 2009. “Science Education in Texas #4,” online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at http://tinyurl.com/ph4qzz . Post of 2 Jun 2009 12:58:43-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. 

1 comment:

kjlowry said...

As an 18-year science-teaching veteran in Texas, I am embarrassed by our leaders. Their attitudes are exemplified by the administration's attitude in a school where I only taught (thankfully) for one year. In a meeting with the vice-principal, I was told that I was teaching physics on much too high a level because only a few of my students would go to college anyway. I was told that "We just want them to pass the TAKS test so they can graduate". Since that discussion, I found a different job in a school that treats all students as college material. I don't know what can be done in my state, but I applaud your efforts and always read your postings on the physics listservs. Thanks.